Welcome to Year 2
The children have settled into Year 2 very well and have been working hard. They should be very proud of a successful start to the year.
There will be a parents’ evening on Thursday 1st November and the class teacher will have a sign-up sheet at the start and end of each day on the first few days back after half term.
Please find below an overview of the topics we will cover in Autumn 2. We hope you will find this useful.
• Writing explanations about how to stay safe on bonfire night and how the Great Fire of London spread so quickly.
• Reading and writing traditional tales including alternative versions of ‘The Three Little Pigs’ and ‘Little Red Riding Hood’.
• Handwriting where the children will start to learn to join their letters.
• Grammar, phonics and spellings. Please continue to support your child to learn their spellings each week.
• Addition and subtraction: We will focus on using number bonds to and within 20 and using the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction to check our answers and solve missing number problems.
• Multiplication and division including learning our 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
• Measuring and comparing length, height and width in metres and centimetres, as well as solving problems involving length.
• Measuring and comparing mass in grams and kilograms.
Our topic this half term is Materials. The children will be learning about the different properties of materials and their uses. They will be investigating which materials are best for different purposes and why.
The children will be learning about the Great Fire of London, what happened during the fire and how we still know about it today.
We will continue to learn to understand our feelings. We will explore a range of feelings through storybooks, poetry, roleplay and discussion activities. We will be developing children’s language to describe different feelings, how an emotion may feel in our bodies and how our feelings can link to our actions. We will also be participating in Anti-Bullying week in November and this year the theme is ‘Choose respect’. The children will also continue with our weekly Circle Time session.
The children will be looking at, and using, software on the iPad to create a comic strip about the Great Fire of London and thinking about the use of font and styles for effect.
The children will be designing and making their own wind-up toys.
Year 2 will experiment with painting tools and materials to create paper for a collage based on Eric Carle’s Mr Seahorse book.
This term year 2 will be focusing on learning songs in unison, round and harmonies and use these songs to explore the elements of music such as pitch, rhythm, dynamic, tempo and structure. We will also use these songs to explore rhythm notation and to compose and improvise simple rhythmic sequences, melodies and chord clusters.
The children will learn about celebrations across a range of different religions including Christianity, Islam, Sikhism and Judaism.
The children will learn the names of colours, numbers up to 31, identifying body parts and talk about Christmas.
Year 2 will be taught outdoor games and dance this term. Please ensure that your child has suitable clothes and trainers for outdoor P.E. and that everything is clearly labelled. Please note if your child has P.E. period 1 or period 2 they are to come to school dressed in their P.E. uniform with their school uniform in their P.E. bags.
Each class will have P.E. on the following days:
Monday: dance with Ms Robbins (period 2)
Tuesday: outdoor games with Ms George (period 2)
Tuesday: dance with Ms Robbins
Wednesday: outdoor games with Ms Wilson (period 2)
Monday: dance with Ms Robbins
Tuesday: outdoor games with Ms George
Tuesday:period 2 Dance (Ms Robbins)
Wednesday: period 1 Outdoor games (Ms Wilson)
Monday: dance with Ms Robbins
Tuesday: outdoor games with Ms Wilson
We hope you have a lovely half term.
Megan Shaw Sarah Peach Freya Miles Samuel Bevan Samantha Burst