Initial teacher training
ITT is a key role for National Teaching Schools. The government wants outstanding schools to play a greater role in training new entrants to the profession and increasingly, in England, we are moving towards a more school-led approach to teacher training. National Teaching Schools are at the forefront of this approach.
Initial Teacher Training at Belleville
At Belleville we have an excellent record in ITT provision, with a very high proportion of our students completing their training, attaining an ‘outstanding’ grade and entering employment. We design, organise and deliver our own training. We believe that the best training for primary teachers is provided 'on the job' by outstanding, experienced practitioners.
In 2019-20 we are delivering a primary salaried School Direct programme. Trainees will be employed as unqualified teachers within primary schools in our network and come to Belleville approximately one day per week for central training sessions. We have delivered this programme since 2013-14. The course results in Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Click here for more information on the course.
Our record in Initial Teacher Training:
- We have been delivering our own primary ITT programmes since 2013-14. So far, 132 trainee teachers have undertaken ITT at Belleville.
- For three years we ran a successful primary PE specialist ITT course, for those interested in becoming specialist PE teachers. The course was designed to balance specialist PE teacher training with learning how to teach well in the classroom. Belleville was the only primary school in the country chosen by the DfE to lead this training, which was part of the government's drive to improve the quality and quantity of PE in primary education.
- We work closely with the Wandsworth primary SCITT, which currently includes 16 schools of which Belleville is the only National Teaching School. The SCITT offers 38 places per year on a primary PGCE course.
- We were part of the management board of the West London Partnership (WLP), one of the largest EBITT providers in the UK, which provided a Graduate Teacher Programme route (GTP was replaced by School Direct). As well as offering placements within our school, we provided training in phonics, science and ICT for 100 GTPs from across London on behalf of WLP during 2012-13.
- We have provided recent placements for trainees from numerous high quality ITT providers including Kingston University, Roehampton University, St Mary’s University College and the Institute of Education (IOE).
- Following initial teacher training, we also provide excellent training for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs). So far 350 NQTs have undertaken this training, from 40 different schools across 8 local authorities. As a Teaching School, we see our role in initial teacher training as part of our wider commitment to continuing professional development and support; we consider this a real advantage for trainees.
For more information about Belleville’s plans for Initial Teacher Training, or to register interest in training with us from 2019, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about other Initial Teacher Training routes, visit the DfE's Get Into Teaching website.