History is the process of enquiry:
• the search for evidence
• the examination of evidence
• the recording of evidence
• the interpretation and weighing of different sorts of evidence
History is the product of imaginative reconstruction:
• because evidence is nearly always incomplete and fragmentary, we imagine (speculate, hypothesise) how it might have been and we fill in the gaps left by the evidence.
History is describing and explaining the past:
• having synthesised the narrative and arguments based on evidence. History is NOT presenting the past as a series of uncontested facts or literal truths.